The value of a public library is determined by its services and usefulness to the community. The primary responsibility of the Board of Trustees is to make available to the Andover area and the rest of Ashtabula County the highest quality library services and information sources. The following basic policies are reaffirmed:
- The Board of Trustees is to be sensitive to the needs of the community for library service and to represent the library to the community.
- Books and other materials shall be selected on the basis of their intrinsic worth and their ability to inform and enlighten the people of the community.
- The public library, being nonpartisan, shall maintain a collection representing divergent views on controversial topics and shall resist efforts of groups or individuals to deny access to these materials.
- The right to use the services of the Andover Public Library will not be denied or abridged because of age, religion, national origin, economic condition, social or political views.
- The Andover Public Library welcomes use of its meeting room for socially useful cultural activities and discussions on current public questions. The service is available on equal terms to all groups in the community regardless of the beliefs and the affiliations of their members, provided the meetings are open to the public and are subject to prior engagement.
- Book and/or library material selection is and shall be vested in the Director/Librarian and, under his/her direction, members of the professional staff. Any book and/or library material so selected shall be held to have been selected by the Board.
BOARD APPROVED: September 5, 1989